Monday, September 19, 2011

The Shape of Ancient Philosophy, Prologue

One of the kinds of courses I teach is a hybrid course, half online, half on campus; in order to manage this while keeping the course competitive, a great deal needs to be offloaded to some kind of online segment. One of the ways I have for doing this is by constructing learning modules on the background, which the students do independently, thus freeing up time for closer look at specifics in our actual class meetings. Since I am slowly reviewing some of what I have, I thought I would put up a sample model and get any thoughts or comments from readers. It's worth keeping in mind that by its nature it is (1) introductory and therefore somewhat imprecise and approximate, although I hope not inaccurate; and (2) preparatory to actual classes, i.e., not completely stand-alone). I'll unreel it here in segments over the next few days.